By Joe Shoopack “Rystall”
Director of Artistic Development

This past summer SOE hosted 2011 G.I.R.L. *Scholarship recipient Alicia Crawford for a summer internship. It was a great experience from both the intern and the mentor side. I asked her if she would write a summary of her experience:

“I have had a great time working at SOE this summer. *I had the opportunity to work on the Free Realms team and enjoyed every minute of it! *Everyone was really welcoming and helpful.* My team had even set up my cubicle for me so that I would be ready to work from day one. *I was able to jump right in and help in creating new game content.

I did both character and environment art on the Free Realms team and learned some new techniques and skills that I’ll be able to put to use in the future as I continue working in the game industry. It was really fun being able to create game assets in the Free Realms style too. *It’s creative and colorful! *Besides learning new art and design skills though, I was also able to meet some really great people working at SOE. *They made the work environment a ton of fun and definitely made work not feel so much like work. *Working with the Free Realms team also showed me the difficulties that come with game development. *My problem-solving skills were definitely put to the test! *This was a great experience though and showed me more of what it takes to get game content to a stage where it can go live in a game. *I really got to see more into the development process as a whole and this has given me a greater understanding of games and how they are created.

Coming into my internship at SOE, I didn’t have many expectations and wasn’t really nervous. *I left with a fantastic experience though and new friends in the industry that I’m sure I’ll be staying in touch with for a long, long time. *SOE has left me with an unforgettable experience and has definitely affirmed in my heart that a career in the game industry is right for me. *I thank SOE very much for the opportunity given to me.”

Alicia was also featured in an article on G4TV.com.

Author:
Visit This Blog Page...
Visit StationBlog